APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED
Expressions of interest (EOIs) are open now for the sixth round of grants in the Canberra Community Grants (Stronger Communities Programme).
Grants of between $2,500 and $20,000 are available for capital works and expenditure.
If you have a project that will increase community participation and contribute to the vibrancy and vitality of Canberra, a Canberra Community Grant could help make it a reality.
To be eligible to apply for funding you will need to:
- Complete an EOI on my webpage
- Be an incorporated entity or be sponsored by one
- Be based in the Canberra electorate - to view a map of Canberra electorate head here.
We encourage applicants to submit an EOI ASAP.
The deadline for submissions of EOIs is 5:00pm 21 February 2021.
Key aspects of this funding program:
• MPs will establish a community consultation committee to undertake consultation in their electorate to identify eligible projects and invite applicants to apply.
• Local government and incorporated not-for-profit organisations are eligible to apply.
• Grants of between $2,500 and up to a maximum of $20,000 are available. The grant amount for small capital projects is up to 100% of eligible project costs except for local governing bodies where grant funding will be up to 50% of eligible projects costs.
• You'll need to give a budget and plan for how you will carry out the project.
• Funding of $150,000 per electorate per year will be allocated for successful applications. A maximum of 20 projects will be funded in each electorate.
To get you thinking, here are some examples of the kinds of project the grants would support:
• fit-out of community centres, health centres including kitchen upgrades and equipment purchases such as computers, TVs and furniture and fittings
• sporting facility upgrades including new scoreboards, seating, new turf, fit-out out of changes rooms, new canteen, new lights, upgrade water systems, gymnasiums, skate parks
• bike paths
• purchase of equipment for local SES.
Here are some further guidelines that will help you work out if your project is eligible for a grant:
To be eligible for funding an Applicant must have an Australian Business Number (ABN) and be an incorporated entity, such as:
• a local government agency or body
• a not-for-profit organisation that is a legal entity (incorporated); or
• a trustee on behalf of a property trust with responsibility for a community asset.
The following organisations are not eligible for funding:
• a for-profit organisation;
• an individual;
• a partnership;
• a Commonwealth government agency or body;
• a university, technical college, school or hospital; or
• a Regional Development Australia Committee
To be eligible for funding a project must:
• be for capital purchases/activities; and
• contribute to an improvement in local community participation and cohesion and contribute to the vibrancy and viability of the community and claims against this requirement must be described.
• scheduled for completion by 31 December 2021.
The following items are considered to be ineligible for funding:
• expenditure incurred prior to the announcement that the project has been successful in its application for funding;
• provision of services and support activities;
• payment of salaries for existing staff or contractors or in-kind expenditure for volunteers;
• recurring or ongoing expenditure (eg annual maintenance);
• projects that seek funding to stage events, exhibit a display or for filming;
• projects to undertake studies or investigations;
• purchase of land or buildings; or
• projects that involve the development of private or commercial ventures including licensed areas of registered clubs.
This grant program is administered by the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science (on behalf of the Department of Infrastructure Regional Development and Cities). The departmental guidelines can be found at https://www.business.gov.au/Assistance/Stronger-Communities-Programme
Please get in touch with the Canberra Electorate Office if you want to discuss the program in more detail on 02 6247 8475 or at [email protected]